World No 1 issues statement saying he ‘respects’ court ruling – as it happened
This blog is now closed. For the latest on Djokovic, follow our Covid blog
Djokovic issues statement after federal court dismisses visa cancellation appeal; Victoria records 13 Covid-19 deaths and 28,128 new cases; NSW records 20 deaths and 34,660 new cases; Queensland records three deaths and 17,445 new cases; ACT records two deaths and 1,316 cases. This blog is now closed
- Novak Djokovic to be deported from Australia after losing appeal against visa cancellation
- Australia Covid update: Greg Hunt says Omicron may be peaking as NSW warned ‘difficult three weeks’ ahead
- Novak Djokovic says Australia’s immigration minister failed to ask him his views on vaccination
- Australia tsunami warning: NSW beaches closed after undersea volcano erupts near Tonga
- Get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
In further Australian Covid news, the Morrison government has announced $24m in new funding to widen the use of telehealth for GPs and other specialists. The funding is a direct reaction to the infection rate from the Omicron outbreak. AAP reports:
The $24m will also cover the continued supply of personal protective equipment, such as masks, respirators, face shields and gowns for face-to-face consultations including patients that have tested positive through a rapid antigen test.
The latter aligns with national cabinet’s January 5 decision that RAT tests no longer need to be confirmed by a PCR test.