NSW and Victoria reveal back-to-school plans – as it happened
Students and teachers in NSW will be required to take rapid Covid tests twice a week when school resumes; Victoria mandates third vaccine dose for teachers and staff, masks for year three and above; NSW records 34 Covid deaths, Victoria 14 and Queensland 10; ACT reports 694 cases and no deaths, SA 2,062 cases, WA 24 as health minister signals move to ‘suppression’ strategy. This blog is now closed
- NSW and Victoria schools reopening plans focus on Covid surveillance testing but scrap contact tracing
- Red alert: New Zealand prepares for thousands of Omicron cases a day with community spread
- Craig Tiley says Novak Djokovic not suing Tennis Australia and will return for 2023 Australian Open
- Covid-19 vaccine Australia rollout tracker
- Get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
A search and rescue operation will resume for a fisherman missing since the early hours of Saturday after he was thrown from a boat along with another man and a dog on Sydney’s North Harbour, AAP reports.
The men, aged 25 and 49, launched their 3.5-metre runabout from Northbridge about 9pm on Friday before running into rough seas and capsizing about 3am on Saturday.