‘Despicable’: Sydney police stop Muslim mourners from watching funerals from cars
NSW police say people were in breach of public health orders as four men arrested at Rookwood cemetery
- Follow our Covid live blog for the latest updates
- NSW Covid vaccination rate by postcode – check your suburb
- NSW restrictions; border restrictions
- Covid vaccine rollout and rates tracker; cases, trends and data tracker
- Get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
In Islam, it is essential that the dead are buried as soon as possible. The body is washed, prayed over, taken to the cemetery and buried, with some small prayer or invocation said by the grave.
It is usually a quick process, sometimes drawn out by lingering family, but one that can be shortened in times of difficulty, such as in a pandemic.