Covid live news: Hong Kong faces more restrictions after record cases; Canada warns US Republicans against protest interference
- New Zealand Omicron wave likely to peak in March with up to 30,000 cases a day, says Ardern
- Unesco warns of crisis in creative sector with 10m jobs lost due to pandemic
- Ottawa declares state of emergency as Canada trucker protest gridlocks city
- Hong Kong reports highest number of Covid cases since pandemic began
- See all our coronavirus coverage
If you’re doing the washing up or on your daily commute and you need something to listen to, check out our Science Weekly podcast, which this week looks at the new Omicron subvariant BA.2.
Canada’s public safety minister has said that US officials should stay out of his country’s domestic affairs, joining other Canadian leaders in pushing back against prominent US Republicans who have offered support for demonstrators protesting Covid-19 restrictions and have besieged central Ottawa for more than a week.