Covid live news: Chinese city puts 1.3 million in strict lockdown over three asymptomatic cases
Central city of Yuzhou orders all citizens to stay at home, suspends public transport and closes schools on Monday night as Xi’an approaches two weeks in lockdown; Israel to open border to travellers with Covid-19 immunity
- Covid-positive nurses work in Australian hospitals due to staffing shortages
- UK Covid cases up 50% in a week as daily tally exceeds 150,000
- NHS faces significant pressure in coming weeks, says Boris Johnson
- US regulators approve Covid boosters for children 12 to 15
- French politicians condemn death threats over vaccine pass
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The number of new infections in Tokyo and other parts of Japan has edged up in recent days, although the numbers pale beside those being reported in the US, Britain and parts of Europe.
They are also lower than those that have previously prompted the government to call states of emergency that include restrictions on restaurant and bar opening hours.
I am outraged because the sharp increase in the number of infections among US military personnel suggests that their management is insufficient,” Tamaki told reporters at the weekend.