Australia news live update: experts urge caution over Covid reopening; NSW cases nearly double Victoria’s as premier says public health a ‘personal’ decision
No Covid-19 deaths in Victoria, 1,302 new cases with testing sites under pressure; NSW records 2,501 new local cases as Dominic Perrottet says public health is a ‘personal’ decision; health experts urge caution over dropping all restrictions; Liberals to select Christian Porter’s replacement; Northern Territory welcomes back fully vaccinated travellers. Follow all the day’s news
- Greg Hunt says Australia unlikely to follow Netherlands and impose Covid lockdown
- One woman dies and two critically injured after a tree falls during Sydney storm
- NSW premier resists pressure to reintroduce mask rules, urging ‘personal responsibility’ as Covid cases rise
- Vaccine rollout and rates tracker; Cases and data tracker
- Victoria vaccination rate map; NSW vaccination rates map
- Get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
From prisoners to the homeless and people living with disabilities – these are some of the at-risk communities hidden from public view during the pandemic. Now the health workers working with them share their stories.
Covid was a little bit outside our realm because we were in a relatively protected environment. That whole barrier of being isolated was somewhat beneficial as long as the virus stayed out of there. There was always going to be an outbreak [though]; you can only build a net, it’s never a wall, and eventually something will get through there. Now they were in a closed community where people live together, many who aren’t vaccinated, so it didn’t take long for the virus to spread.
Leave a Reply