Australia live news updates: Albanese says aged care minister ‘must resign today’; nation records at least 82 Covid deaths
Albanese says aged care services minister ‘must resign today’; CMO says ‘we are past the peak’ of Omicron as nation records at least 82 Covid-19 deaths, with dozens of cases in ICU. Follow all the day’s news
- Brisbane’s Citipointe Christian College withdraws anti-gay contract but defends ‘statement of faith’
- Christian lobby groups attack Morrison for vowing students won’t be expelled due to their sexuality or gender
- New Zealand border will open in stages from end of February, Jacinda Ardern announces
- Vaccine rollout and rates tracker; cases and data tracker
- Get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
Speaking of the ongoing Covid aged care crisis, health and aged care minister Greg Hunt is defending the government’s handling of the situation, telling ABC radio that 99% of aged care workers are now double-vaccinated:
We have over 99% vaccination rate amongst aged care workers, one of the highest rates in the world; 91% vaccination rate for residents. We’ve been able to have one of the lowest rates of loss of life in aged care in the world …
But it is immensely hard for so many. The mental health impacts of people being locked down in aged care, which is a protective mechanism for them, but at the same time it has a huge impact on their quality of life.
If they can’t endorse [federal environment minister Sussan Ley] they should get out of the way and let the federal executive ensure we can get things done.
Leave a Reply