Australia Covid live news update: NSW reports 1,331 cases and six deaths; Victoria records 535 new cases and one death as police move to block lockdown protests
One new case in Queensland as Melbourne CBD turned into no-go zone and police prepare to disrupt protest planned in Sydney
- New Doherty modelling advises ‘medium’ Covid restrictions until 80% vaccination target reached
- Youth corrections officer dies from Covid
- Covid vaccine rollout and rates tracker; Cases, trends and data tracker
- Get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
The rise in unlinked cases is … not great to see.
Victoria today: 535 locally acquired cases (7 day avg is 470)
* 473 as yet unlinked
* 62 linked to a known source pic.twitter.com/Lpk0YCif2w
By Friday, there were a total of 1,646 cases in the City of Hume, more than a third of all infections in Melbourne. Meanwhile vaccination rates are among the lowest in Victoria.
Community leaders are heartened by the recent surge in vaccinations, but they are frustrated too, saying their warnings were not taken seriously until it was too late.