Australia Covid live news update: national cabinet to discuss mask rules amid surging case numbers
Vaccine boosters and Omicron variant on agenda as Scott Morrison meets with state and territory leaders. Follow all the day’s news
- Australia could have 200,000 cases a day by late January under ‘worst-case’ Doherty modelling
- Families could be barred from aged care visits due to lack of clear guidelines
- Which Covid rapid antigen tests can you trust and what do they cost?
- Vaccine rollout and rates tracker; Cases and data tracker
- Get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
More than 300 doctors around the world have written to deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce today urging him to seek Julian Assange’s immediate release from prison in the UK on medical grounds.
The letter cites concern over Assange’s apparent mini stroke, warning it may be “the tip of a medical iceberg”:
Indeed his symptoms suggest as much. It is therefore imperative that Mr. Assange be released from prison, where his health will otherwise continue to deteriorate and where his complex medical needs cannot be met.
Perhaps our concerns were previously dismissed by your colleagues as hyperbolic. They are not. On the issue of cardiovascular pathology, we have been proven right. We do not wish to be proven right on the issue of Mr. Assange’s survival.
We implore you, as Deputy Prime Minister, to intervene with the UK Government to seek Mr Assange’s immediate release on urgent medical grounds. We reiterate that he is an Australian citizen innocent in the eyes of the law, and guilty of and charged with nothing in the UK.
Leave a Reply