UK coronavirus live: George Eustice takes daily briefing as death toll rises by 545 to 35,341
UK facing ‘severe recession the likes of which we haven’t seen’, says chancellor Rishi Sunak
- Excess deaths in UK reached almost 55,000 in early May, says ONS
- Children in England back to school before contact tracing app rolled out
- Home test kits run out as eligibility list is expanded
- Explained: how five-year-olds should be tested for coronavirus
- Global coronavirus updates – live
In his opening remarks Eustice urged people interested in fruit picking work to use a pickforbritain website.
As my colleague Fran Lawther points out, it does not seem to be working.
George Eustice tells people to look at the Pick for Britain website … which doesn’t appear to be working pic.twitter.com/Hm96QJ4BXh
Q: Can you understand why teachers don’t trust the government on the safety of re-opening schools?
Eustice says he does not accept that the government has mishandled the crisis.