UK coronavirus live: face masks become compulsory in England’s shops and takeaways
Police will have power to enforce the rules, which come into effect today
- In which shops do I have to wear face masks in England?
- Sturgeon accuses Johnson of using Covid-19 as ‘political weapon’
- Children could ‘lose 3% of lifetime earnings’ due to school closures
- Adults over 50 and some secondary school pupils to get free flu jab
- Global coronavirus updates – live
Longstanding under-investment in the NHS will hamper its ability to tackle the backlog of tests and required treatments that built up during the Covid-19 pandemic, research shows.
A new 31-country study found patients in the UK will face long waits for care and the rationing of treatment because the health service has so few staff and beds.