George Floyd protests: civil rights groups sue Trump and Barr for use of teargas outside White House – live
- President and attorney general sued over assault on peaceful protesters
- Floyd family’s lawyer, Benjamin Crump says ‘pandemic of racism and discrimination killed George Floyd’
- Barr claims evidence ‘antifa’ instigating violence
- Is it safe to protest during a pandemic?
- US police have a history of violence against black people. Will it stop?
- Sign up to our First Thing newsletter
Police in Buffalo, New York were filmed shoving a man to the ground, causing him to bleed from the ear.
Black and minority Americans are more likely to be infected and die from Covid-19, because structural racism has left those populations with inferior health, housing and economic conditions, witnesses told a House subcommittee on the coronavirus crisis on Capitol Hill on Thursday.
Even as protests against police violence roil the nation, the Covid-19 pandemic continues to infect or kill minority Americans at devastating rates – at least one independent report found black Americans dying at three times the rate of white Americans.