George Floyd killing: US rocked by eighth night of protest and grief – live
- Demonstrators defy curfews as protests rage for eighth day
- A restaurant owner, a football star: the people killed as protests spread
- Trump has normalised mayhem and the US is paying the price
- Are you taking part in US protests after the death of George Floyd?
- Sign up to our First Thing newsletter
There’s no doubting the international impact of the protests over George Floyd’s killing. Last night a new mural by street artist Akse was unveiled in the Northern Quarter of England’s Manchester. Local council buildings in the area were also lit up in purple in Floyd’s memory.
Several US news organisations are reporting that Tuesday night’s protests have been the calmest in days.
Clearly that is not the case in Portland and Seattle, where police have been dispersing people with force, but it may point towards a nationwide drop in confrontations.