Covid live news: Omicron accounts for 58.6% of all infections in US; Wales reports 12,378 cases in past 48 hours
- Omicron ‘not same disease’ as other Covid waves, UK scientist says
- Covid test shortages threaten New Year’s Eve celebrations in England
- Asymptomatic people in the US told to isolate for just five days
- Covid pills are ‘very promising’ but what are challenges in using them?
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Stock markets have continued to gain ground despite the surge of Omicron around the world.
Asian markets lifted on Tuesday with the Nikkei in Japan up nearly 1%, Shanghai up 0.2%, Seoul up 0.1% and Sydney’s ASX200 is up 0.44%.