Covid live news: India reports lowest deaths since mid-March; England parents warned over hoax vaccine letter
- How the US vaccine effort derailed and why we shouldn’t be surprised
- Hospitals in England relax Covid rules to help tackle waiting lists
- Smokers up to 80% more likely to be admitted to hospital with Covid, study suggests
- Biden receives vaccine ‘booster’ as confusion continues over third dose
- See all our coronavirus coverage
A YouGov poll of working mothers carried out for the BBC has found that many women feel that the Covid-fuelled shift to home working will help their career.
Just over half (56%) of the 1,684 women surveyed said they thought working from home would help them progress at work, as childcare and caring duties become less of a hindrance to working full-time.
In the US, hospitals in the state of New York have begun the process of firing or suspending healthcare workers who are not fully vaccinated. The resulting staff shortages are leading to elective surgeries being postponed and services restricted in other ways.
New York City mayor Bill de Blasio told a news conference that while the city’s hospitals were not yet seeing a major impact from the mandate he was worried about other areas of the wider state where vaccination rates are lower.