Covid live: France lifts outdoor mask-wearing and curfew rules; London could be in ‘foothills of third wave’
- People in UK with both jabs may not have to quarantine, says scientist
- Under-18s could be ‘reservoirs’ for virus when all UK adults are jabbed
- ‘Two Americas’ as Delta variant spreads and vaccination rates drop
- Uganda Olympic athlete arriving in Tokyo tests positive for coronavirus
- ‘Devastated’ Phuket races to vaccinate in time for holiday season
With Covid vaccination penetration in the US likely to fall short of Joe Biden’s 70% by Fourth of July target, pandemic analysts are warning that vaccine incentives are losing traction and that “two Americas” may emerge as the aggressive Delta variant becomes the dominant US strain.
Efforts to boost vaccination rates have come through a variety of incentives, from free hamburgers to free beer, college scholarships and even million-dollar lottery prizes. But of the efforts to entice people to get their shots have lost their initial impact, or failed to land effectively at all.
Inspired a group set up in Britain during the pandemic, several of the world’s leading scientists plan to launch an independent expert group this week to advise, warn and criticise global policymakers about the climate and nature crises.
The new body has been inspired by Independent Sage – the cluster of British scientists who have held UK ministers and civil servants to account for their lack of transparency and mishandling of the Covid pandemic.