Coronavirus US live: gap grows between White House and experts over safety of reopening
- New US coronavirus hotspots appear in Trump heartlands
- Michigan: rightwing militia groups to protest stay-at-home orders
- US nursing homes seek legal immunity as Covid-19 spreads ‘like brushfire’
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- Get a fresh perspective on America – sign up to our First Thing newsletter
Leaders are starting to voice their support for Dr. Anthony Fauci after the epidemiologist was slammed yesterday by Fox News and a Republican Senator after testifying at the Senate’s hearing on the US coronavirus response.
Dr. Fauci is one of the finest public servants we have ever had. He is not a partisan. His only interest is saving lives. We need his expertise and his judgment to defeat this virus. All Americans should be thanking him. Every day.
From the start, CDC staffers working on the guidance were uncomfortable tying it specifically to reopening, and voiced their objections to the White House officials tasked with approving the guidance for release, according to a CDC official granted anonymity because they were not cleared to speak with the press, the AP reports.