Coronavirus live news: Vladimir Putin self-isolating; new China outbreak grows
Latest updates: Covid cases in Russian president’s inner circle; China reports 59 new cases compared to 22 the day before
- Cases double in new south-east China Covid outbreak linked to school
- Covid boosters can be offered to all UK over-50s, watchdog confirms
- Vaccine hesitant people are dying and loved ones want world to listen
- Victoria’s surging Covid cases put pressure on contact tracing
- UK coronavirus updates – live
The WHO’s representative in the Philippines has warned that hospitals could be overwhelmed if lockdown in the Manila Capital area is eased before vaccination coverage increases.
Dr Rabindra Abeyasinghe said the government needed to be “very careful” about changes, according to local news site Rappler.
England’s deputy chief medical officer, Jonathan Van-Tam, said vaccines had saved 112,000 lives in the UK.
“Our latest estimates are that since we began deploying these vaccines, they’ve probably averted in the region of 24 million cases of Covid in the UK and 112,000 deaths – so incredibly successful to date and remains so,” Van-Tam said at a Downing Street briefing.