Coronavirus live news: two visitors for England care home residents from mid-April; India cases hit six-month high
Children in England can visit grandparents for first time from next week; India’s daily coronavirus infections hit six-month high
- NHS feels strain as tens of thousands of staff suffer long Covid
- Care home residents in England allowed two visitors from 12 April
- Australia vaccine rollout to continue after blood clot case
- Europe faces another Easter of Covid restrictions
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The Philippines health ministry has reported 12,576 new Covid cases, the second-highest daily increase in infections.
Russia reported 9,021 new Covid-19 cases on Saturday, including 2,011 in Moscow, pushing the total infection tally in the country to 4,572,077 since the pandemic began a year ago.
The government coronavirus task force said that 384 people had died from coronavirus in the last 24 hours, taking Russia’s death toll to 100,017.
Russia’s Rosstat statistics service, which is keeping a separate tally, has reported a much higher toll. It said on Friday it had recorded over 225,000 deaths related to Covid-19 since the start of the pandemic in April.