Coronavirus live news: Trump says he could cut China ties as global deaths pass 300,000
36m Americans unemployed; Brazil cases hit 200,000; EU insists vaccine must be available to all countries. Follow the latest updates
- Leaders urge free vaccines as France allows staycations
- Donald Trump goes maskless to tour medical equipment facility
- Russia defends its ‘exceptionally precise’ death data
- Australia coronavirus updates – live
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
US President Donald Trump signalled a further deterioration of his relationship with China over the novel coronavirus, saying he has no interest in speaking to President Xi Jinping right now and going so far as to suggest he could even cut ties with the world’s second largest economy, Reuters reports.
In an interview with Fox Business Network broadcast on Thursday, Trump said he was very disappointed with China’s failure to contain the disease and that the pandemic had cast a pall over his January trade deal with Beijing, which he has previously hailed as a major achievement.
Hello and welcome to today’s coverage of the global coronavirus pandemic.
I’m Helen Sullivan, with you for the next few hours. You can get in touch on Twitter @helenrsullivan.