Coronavirus live news: Novavax effective against UK variant but less so against South African one
Trials showed jab was 89% effective in UK and 60% in South Africa; Paris to suspend jabs over shortage; Vietnam reports nine new cases. Follow latest updates
- Novavax Covid vaccine shown to be nearly 90% effective in UK trial
- AstraZeneca may have to renegotiate vaccine contracts, say experts
- Oxford vaccine spat could lead to divergence in Covid strategies
- People of colour must get fair access to vaccines, Fauci says
- See all our coronavirus coverage
A Lancet Public Health Journal has confirmed earlier research that black and ethnic minority community members are at a significantly higher risk of dying of Covid-19. It found the ‘English ethnic health gap’ was similar to a 20-year age difference.
Vietnam reported nine more Covid-19 infections early on Friday as the new outbreak spreads to Hanoi, the capital, where the ruling Communist party is holding its key five-yearly congress.