Coronavirus live news: Global cases pass 6 million as Brazil sees record one-day increase
Brazil cases near 500,000; Pope asks world leaders to provide Covid relief; lockdown eased for clinically vulnerable in UK. Follow the latest updates
- Pope Francis calls on world leaders to provide coronavirus relief
- Global cases pass 6 million
- Brazil sees record one-day increase in cases
- Senior UK adviser has broken trust in policy, say top scientists
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
There are signs that thousands of Australians used the coronavirus shutdown to give up smoking, AAP reports.
Federal health Minister Greg Hunt says between January and May this year, the My Quitbuddy app was downloaded more than 24,000 times, a staggering 310% increase over the same time last year.
Brazil has nearly 500,000 cases, after a record one-day increase.
Brazil registered a record 33,274 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Saturday, its health ministry said, raising the total to 498,440 in a country with one of the world’s worst outbreaks.