Coronavirus live news: French told to avoid Spain and Portugal holidays; travel curbs proposed in Thailand
French minister says people should avoid travel to Spain and Portugal over Delta variant concerns; Thailand reports new record death toll
- South Korea records highest Covid case numbers as wave of infections sweeps Asia Pacific
- Tokyo to be under Covid state of emergency during Olympics
- Covid surge pushes Indonesia’s health system to the brink
- Global experts urge Boris Johnson to delay ‘dangerous’ Covid reopening
- WHO warns of ‘epidemiological stupidity’ of early Covid reopening
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Marine Strauss reports for Reuters from Brussels that the European Union’s executive has approved Cyprus’ plan to spend €1.2bn (£1.03bn) worth of special funds from the EU, aimed at restarting economic growth hampered by the pandemic.
The aid is part of the EU’s unprecedented economic stimulus totalling €800bn to be distributed among the 27 member states.
China says it administered about 10.7m doses of Covid vaccines yesterday. Reuters report this takes the total to 1.342bn doses. That’s around a third of the vaccine shots that have been administered around the world, according to the figures being tracked by Johns Hopkins university, which puts total vaccinations at 3.3bn.