Coronavirus live news: 60m Indians may have contracted Covid; Disney announces mass layoffs
India’s pandemic agency says cases may be ten times official figure; New York introduces face mask fines as positivity rates climb; Boris Johnson apologises for getting north-east England lockdown rules wrong. Follow the latest updates
- Global coronavirus deaths pass 1m with no sign rate is slowing
- Walt Disney sheds 28,000 jobs at theme parks as pandemic bites
- Interactive: how did we get to one million deaths?
- France struggles to push Covid app as neighbours race ahead
- See all our coronavirus coverage
More on that study in India:
The blood tests were collected from just over 29,000 people in 21 states or territories between mid-August and mid-September.
More than 60 million people in India – 10 times the official figure – could have contracted the novel coronavirus, the country’s lead pandemic agency said Tuesday, citing a nationwide study measuring antibodies.
According to official data India, home to 1.3 billion people, is the world’s second most infected nation, with more than 6.1 million cases, just behind the United States.