Coronavirus Australia updates: Morrison to discuss Melbourne outbreak with state leaders in national cabinet – live
Prime minister will discuss the impact of the pandemic as fears grow over pressure on aged care sector. Follow the latest updates
- Victoria’s aged care system on verge of collapse amid Covid-19 surge, doctors warn
- Queensland declares Sydney’s Fairfield a coronavirus hotspot
- Five deaths and 403 new cases of Covid-19 in Victoria
- Follow the global live blog
- Australia’s about-face on masks: why our advice was late to the party
- Sign up for Guardian Australia’s coronavirus email
National cabinet will meet today to discuss the growing coronavirus outbreak in Victoria as well as the economic update, which yesterday announced Australia was facing deficits of $85.8bn in 2019-20 and $184.5bn in 2020-21 – the highest since the second world war. It will also discuss the new Closing the Gap strategy, which has been approved by the joint council but still doesn’t have any new money attached to it – and with the new fiscal position announced yesterday, that seems increasingly unlikely.
We are concerned aged care may be so under pressure in just the next few days it will cause collapse and severe system stress.