America reacts to Donald Trump’s RNC acceptance speech – US politics live
- At RNC Trump paints Biden as ‘radical’ candidate and danger to US
- Kamala Harris assails president’s ‘reckless disregard’ for American people
- ‘Devastation everywhere’: Louisiana city wakes up to storm’s aftermath
- 1,124 new coronavirus deaths and 45,561 new cases in US yesterday
- Sign up for our First Thing newsletter
It’s important to remember that Hurricane Laura may have weakened, but it hasn’t gone away entirely, and will be causing extreme weather in southern states for a while yet.
Remnants from Hurricane Laura will bring heavy showers and gusty winds today and tonight. A few severe storms with damaging winds are possible, and an isolated brief tornado or 2 could form. Main time for concern will be Noon Until Midnight. pic.twitter.com/487m7GScr1
WIND GUSTS have been sub-severe (under 60 mph) and should remain that way through the morning in almost all areas. Damaging wind gusts are still possible, especially in southern #MNwx & #WIwx through 9am. pic.twitter.com/Bbii0x776y
James Oliphant at Reuters offers an analysis of what the RNC taught us this week about the Republican strategy for November.
He writes that Donald Trump used all of his reality-show talents to try to win back supporters alienated by his handling of the coronavirus pandemic. He desperately needs to change the subject from a pandemic that has killed 180,000 Americans and shackled the US economy, and find a way to blame Democrats for the violence on the streets.